If you love the flavours of a traditional carrot cake, this moorish crunchy carrot cake granola will be just your cup of tea. It’s an ingenious way of sneaking vegetables in your breakfast too… Vegan, free from gluten and refined sugar.
1. Preheat the oven to 190C fan and line an oven tray with parchment paper.
2. In a big mixing bowl mix oats, carrots and spices (nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon & ginger). Set aside.
3. Combine maple syrup, almond butter, coconut oil and vanilla in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer and whisk until smooth. Take off the heat as soon as mixture starts to bubble.
4. Add the wet mixture into the bowl with oats and mix well to ensure the oats are well coated.
5. Transfer the oat mixture to the baking tray lined with parchment paper. If you like little clusters in your granola, scoop a handful of granola and squeeze tightly with your hands, so it forms little clusters. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. Take the tray out of the oven, mix in chopped walnuts and dates and bake for a further 10-13 minutes until the granola has turned golden brown. Keep checking on it to ensure it doesn’t burn.
7. Let it cool down for at least 10-15 minutes before you do ‘the obligatory taste testing’. It tastes so good on its own! Enjoy plain with some milk, sprinkled over your favourite yoghurt or add it to a smoothie for extra texture.