This healthy flavour-punching vegan potato salad is a great addition to your summer BBQ table. Quick & easy to prepare, it’ll become one of your favourite crowd pleasers. Great option for people with dietary requirements: vegan, low fat, gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free.
I’m not a big lover of the traditional potato salad, which is very often drenched in so much mayo that mayo is all you can taste. So, when creating my version of this healthier potato salad, I wanted to bring out the delicious flavours of the summer produce – potatoes, radishes, green peas & pea shoots & cucumber. Light & zingy Dijon dressing compliments all the flavours in this potato salad without being too overpowering. A marriage made in heaven if you ask me!
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS SUMMER VEGAN POTATO SALAD?
- Baby potatoes
- Green peas (fresh or frozen)
- Green pea shoots
- Fresh mint (or any other fresh herbs of your choice, dill or coriander would work great)
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
CAN I MAKE THIS POTATO SALAD AHEAD?
Yes, you can prepare this salad a day before. Just follow the steps below:
- Make the dressing in a separate jar – it’ll keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It’s a perfect addition to any type of salad, not just this one.
- If you’re serving this salad cold, mix all salad ingredients in a bowl apart from green pea shoots, cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight. Add the green pea shoots and the dressing 5 minutes before serving.
- When serving this salad warm (which is my personal preference), prepare the salad as above but keep the potatoes in a separate bowl to the salad when placing them in the refrigerator overnight. 10 minutes before serving, re-heat the potatoes in a microwave (or oven) for a couple of minutes until warm, then add green pea shoots and salad dressing.
HOW LONG WILL IT KEEP?
You can store this potato salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, although it tastes at its best when it’s been freshly made.
WHY SHOULD I MAKE THIS POTATO SALAD?
- It’s punching all the fresh & zingy summer flavours
- This salad is a much healthier version to a traditional potato salad, which makes it diet -friendly and kinder to your waist
- It’s full of nutritious goodness (potassium, fiber, magnesium, folate, calcium)
- You’ll be surprised how quick & easy it is to make
- You can prepare it in advance
- It’s a great option for people with dietary requirements: vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free & low fat
Looking for more inspiration for your summer table? Check out:
- Vegan BBQ ‘pulled pork’ buns
- Vegan asparagus tart
- Super easy spring green salad
- Grilled nectarine & lentil salad
- Two-ingredient quinoa pizza base
- Fresh & zingy watermelon salad
As always, if you recreate this flavour-punching vegan potato salad, I’d be delighted to read your comments and hear your feedback. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram @Fit Foodie Nutter, Facebook or Pinterest so I don’t miss them.
See you next week.
Pin for later:
VEGAN POTATO SALAD (NO MAYO)
For the salad:
- 500 g baby potatoes cut in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup green peas fresh or thawed if using frozen
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 6-8 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 big handfuls green pea shoots
- 1/2 cucumber cubed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- A small bunch of fresh mint finely chopped
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Around 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 25-35 mins until soft. Drain, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper & cool down slightly.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar/bowl and shake/whisk for a few seconds to combine. Set aside.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a serving bowl, add warm potatoes, drizzle with dressing, season with salt & pepper and mix well to combine. Serve warm or cold.