This simple bowl of turmeric quinoa with roasted beetroot and wilted spinach is packed with plant protein and fibre, as well as being vitamin dense thanks to easily accessible nature’s ‘superfood vegetables’ beetroot and spinach. Pomegranate seeds and toasted pine nuts add an extra sweet and crunchy note to this dish and merry all the flavours just beautifully.
It’s finally happened! The first ever post on my newly created blog… I’ve been nurturing the idea of a food blog for such a long time but I found a million excuses to put it off until ‘when the time is right’. If I’m being honest with myself though, the main reason stopping me was fear. Fear of something new and the unknown, sharing my raw and honest truth, fear of failing… (I could go on forever). Thankfully, my passion for healthy food and wellbeing overpowered the voice of fear and doubt and here I am, braving up to be sharing my humble journey in this little corner of the virtual universe.
Today’s recipe of turmeric quinoa with rosemary roasted beetroot and wilted spinach is very easy and simple to prepare and makes it a perfect healthy lunch or dinner.
Quinoa is a staple ingredient in my cupboard and I almost always pair it up with turmeric to give it some extra flavour and increase the anti-inflammatory nutrients of this dish. Being one of the most protein-rich foods, as well as a great source of fibre and iron, quinoa finds its way into a lot of my post-workout meals. I tend to cook a little more quinoa than required for one recipe, as leftovers are a great addition to the next day’s lunch or dinner.
I hope you enjoy the recipe and I would be over the moon if you popped in to say hello in the comments.
TURMERIC QUINOA WITH ROASTED BEETROOT & SPINACH (GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN, CANDIDA FRIENDLY)
- 2 medium size beetroots
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa (washed & rinsed)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A small handful pine nuts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 big handfuls spinach
- 1/2 fresh lime
- A small handful pomegranate seeds
- parsley for garnish
- 1. Preheat the oven to 190C (350F), or 170C for fan assisted ovens.
- 2. Clean the beets thoroughly, wipe dry and place onto the foil sheet. Pick the rosemary leaves off the sprigs and sprinkle over the beetroot. Wrap the beetroot in baking foil, place on a baking tray and roast in the oven until cooked through, approximately 35-40 minutes.
- 3. Whilst the beets are roasting, combine water with quinoa in a medium size pan and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the turmeric powder, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover with a lid and simmer until all the water is absorbed, around 15 minutes. Once cooked, flake it with a fork and set aside.
- 4. In the meantime, toast the pine nuts by heating a small size pan on medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the pine nuts to the dry pan and keep tossing them every few seconds to ensure they don’t burn. As soon as they turn golden brown, take the pan off the heat, transfer the toasted nuts to a separate bowl and set aside.
- 5. Put the pan that you used for toasting pine nuts back on medium heat with 1 tsp of olive oil. Add the spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes until the spinach has wilted. Set aside.
- 6. Take the beetroot out of the oven and let it cool for a couple of minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel the beetroot and dice into medium size chunks.
- 7. Combine quinoa, beetroot and wilted spinach in a bowl. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and parsley and finish off with a generous squeeze of lime. Bon Appetite!