Turmeric. The powerhouse ingredient I’ve been utterly addicted to for as long as I can remember. While once focused on anti-inflammatory benefits, decreased cancer risk, and support of detoxification, studies on turmeric intake now include its potential for improving cognitive function, blood sugar balance and kidney function¹, so it’s a very powerful spice to keep in your pantry.
Granola must be one of my favourite go-to breakfasts. It’s easy, versatile (serve it with yoghurt and fruit, sprinkle over smoothies or layer it up with chia pudding) and the best things is it makes your house smell like a little French bakery. Once you’ve made your own, I doubt you’ll ever go for the supermarket granola again. You can experiment with ingredients as much as you like – each time I make mine, I use whatever I have to hand in my kitchen cupboard: seeds, nuts, coconuts shreds, almond flakes… The combinations are endless.
Enjoy this recipe and do stop by to say hello in the comments – it would make my day!
Reference sources: 1. The world’s healthiest foods.
TURMERIC GRANOLA (GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN, CANDIDA FRIENDLY)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats (unroasted)
- 1/2 cup millet flakes
- 1 cup gluten free oats or oatbran
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Zest of 1 orange (or lemon)
- 1/2 tsp xylitol (use more if you like it sweeter)
- 2 tbsp almond flakes (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven at 180C for around 12-15 minutes until golden brown. You can give granola a little mix half way through the baking to ensure even roasting. Tip: keep an eye on the granola after 10 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Suitable for: candida diet Stage 3 and beyond, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, yeast free, vegan.