Light, fluffy, wholesome citrus crepes made vegan friendly. A perfect way to kick start your morning on a good note. Make ahead the batter the night before to allow an extra hour for a lie-in in the morning!
With the Pancakes Day fast approaching, I thought it would be a good idea to play around with my mum’s traditional Russian pancake recipe. I’m so pleased I did, as the end result turned out absolutely delicious! Light, fluffy, crispy on the edges crepes with soft citrus notes. Healthy, wholesome, free from refined sugar yet full of flavour.
I happily admit that my mum is an absolute Pancake Goddess. I don’t think anyone makes their pancakes as delicious as hers, so I won’t even attempt to contest her ‘title’, especially as Russian pancakes hold so many fond childhood memories for me.
I thought it would be a good idea to make these traditional crepes healthier and more wholesome, as well as add a citrus twist and combine them with seasonal clementines, which are in abundance this season.
To make these vegan crepes fluffy and light, I’m using sparkling water in this recipe. When sparkling water is added to batter, its bubbles create pockets of air that expand under heat, giving the crepes a lighter and fluffier texture.
Tips to make the best crepes:
- Allow the batter to rest for at least 30mins
- Use a good quality crepe pan
- Use a pastry brush for greasing the pan to allow the pan to be evenly greased
- Allow the pan to get hot gradually (set your heat to medium and wait for the pan to get hot)
- To make a silky & smooth batter, use a high power blender
- As you’re making the crepes, stack them up on a plate and cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep them soft and warm.
If you make these delicious crepes, I’d absolutely love to see your take on them and hear your feedback, as always. Be sure to pop your comments in the comment section below and tag me @fit.foodie.nutter on Instagram or Fit Foodie Nutter on Facebook, so I can see all of your mouth-watering masterpieces.
If you’d like to try more delicious pancakes recipes, check out:
Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and even better, say hi! See you next week my friend.
THE ULTIMATE ORANGE CREPES (VEGAN)
- 1 cup wholemeal flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 cup + ¼ cup sparkling water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted, plus more for greasing
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt & coconut sugar and mix well.
- In a jug or a separate mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients: almond milk, orange juice, zest, sparkling water, coconut oil, vanilla extract and whisk until well combined. A hand whisk or electric whisk will both work well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients and whisk until smooth batter forms. To make your batter silky, use a blender. Set aside for 30mins (or refrigerate overnight).
- Set your heat to medium and allow the pan to get hot. Using a pastry brush, grease the pan with a little coconut oil. Ladle the batter into a pan (allow a ladle per crepe) and swirl around to spread the batter evenly & thinly around the pan. Cook each side for 1-2 minutes on medium to low heat until the crepes turn golden brown.
- Serve with fresh clementines, pomegranate and a generous drizzle of maple syrup.