These flavour punching savoury vegan pancakes are packed with a lot of nutritional goodness from courgette, avocado and chickpea flour. They make a perfect savoury meal for brunch, lunch or dinner. Adults & kids approved. Vegan & gluten free.
When I posted the recipe for these easy savoury vegan pancakes on my Instagram, so many of you recreated it and re-shared it that I thought they deserve a space on the blog too!
WHY YOU’LL FALL IN LOVE WITH THESE SAVOURY PANCAKES
- They are super easy to make
- Packed with veggies
- Rich in plant protein & healthy fats
- Vegan & gluten free
- Can be enjoyed for brunch, lunch or dinner
- Great for adults and kids
- Nutritious and filling
- Perfect for batch cooking & meal prep
- Freezer friendly
- Chickpea flour
I’ve only tested this recipe with chickpea flour. Although regular plain flour should work, I can’t state for sure.
- Baking powder (make sure to use gluten free, if required)
- Courgette (zucchini)
Ensure to follow the recipe instructions and squeeze out all the excess water out of the courgette. Otherwise, your batter will be too watery.
- Kala namak (black salt)
It adds more savory flavour to the pancakes. If you haven’t got it, use ground sea salt instead.
I’m using this guacamole, which is one of my favourite guacamole brands at the moment. It tastes just like homemade and hasn’t got any additives or preservatives. By all means, you can use homemade guacamole too.
- Almond milk (or any other unsweetened plant milk)
- Fresh lime juice
- Fresh coriander
HOW TO MAKE SAVOURY PANCAKES
You can watch a quick recipe video here. Otherwise, follow along easy instructions below:
- First of all, sift the chickpea flour & baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Then add kala namak, black pepper, cayenne pepper, guacamole, almond milk, lime juice, coriander & grated courgette. Ensure that you’ve squeezed out all excess water out of the courgette. Mix well until combined.
- Finally, grease the non-stick pan with a little olive oil and fry the pancakes for a couple minutes on each side until cooked through.
SAVOURY VEGAN PANCAKE TOPPINGS IDEAS
These savoury pancakes go really well with guacamole and tomato salsa. I mean, it’s like a match made in heaven!
In addition, for other savoury toppings ideas, you can use:
- Plant-based cream cheese with a sprinkle of fresh chives or spring onions
- Sauteed mushrooms and wilted spinach
- Dairy-free yoghurt
- Vegan bacon – try my eggplant bacon recipe here
- Vegan feta cheese, tomatoes and olives
CAN I FREEZE THEM?
These pancakes are great for freezing. I normally put them on a flat plate or board and stick them in the freezer for half an hour. After that, once they’re frozen, I transfer them in a zip lock bag for easier storing. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, you can use the microwave, oven or I even successfully used a toaster in the past.
LOOKING FOR MORE SAVOURY VEGAN RECIPES?
Try some of the readers’ favourite recipes below:
- Quick & easy vegan potato cakes
- 3 ingredient gluten-free buckwheat wraps
- Chickpea waffles
- 15 minute ‘cheesy’ vegan polenta
- Spinach wraps
In conclusion, I really hope you’ll give these flavour punching savoury vegan pancakes a try. If you recreate this recipe, I’d love to read your comments and hear your feedback because they really make my day. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram @Fit Foodie Nutter, Facebook or Pinterest .
THE BEST SAVOURY VEGAN PANCAKES WITH AVOCADO
- 150 g (1 cup) chickpea flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kala namak or regular salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 150 g guacamole
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander finely chopped
- 200 g courgette grated and excess moisture squeezed out until it’s dry
- Olive oil for frying
- Sift the chick pea flour & baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Grease the non-stick pan with a little olive oil and fry the pancakes for a couple minutes on each side until cooked through.
- Serve with guacamole & tomato salsa.