Whether you’re looking for a family friendly meat-free weeknight dinner or a winning recipe for a dinner party with friends, this super easy yet utterly delicious Asian-inspired vegan sticky aubergine will tick all the boxes. Vegan and can be made gluten-free.
I haven’t been this dizzy about a good recipe for a long time. I’m by no means blowing my own trumpet, however I’ve had ruined a fair few dishes with aubergines (or eggplants as my friends across the pond prefer to call it) before. I’ve had my aubergines turning out too soggy, too soft, too bland, too bitter…. You name it, I’ve probably done it all. So, I felt truly triumphant when this sticky vegan aubergine recipe turned out as good as it did.
THE SECRET TO GETTING YOUR AUBERGINES TASTE DELICIOUS
The answer is very simple. Marinate them! Aubergines are one of those vegetables which absorb liquid & flavours very well. They’re like sponges – bathe them in a delicious marinade and they’ll soak up all the flavours and juices. The only thing left to do is to fry them off in a pan and cook on a moderate heat for a little longer. Job done!
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THE BEST VEGAN STICKY AUBERGINE
You just need a handful of ingredients to marinate the aubergines:
- Light soy sauce (you can use regular soy sauce, however be mindful of its much higher salt content. For a gluten free option, use tamari sauce).
- Minced garlic (you can use ready-made garlic puree from a supermarket)
- Pomegranate molasses or good quality balsamic vinegar (good quality balsamic vinegar should be thick consistency, not runny)
- Freshly grated ginger
- Apple cider vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Corn flour (or arrowroot flour)
Whisk all the marinate ingredients in a bowl until smooth and pour over the chopped aubergines, mixing well to ensure the aubergines are evenly coated in the marinade. Refrigerate, marinate for 30 minutes and let the magic happen.
WHY SHOULD I MAKE THIS VEGAN STICKY AUBERGINE RECIPE?
- Its sweet & slightly tarty flavour is absolutely divine!
- If you love Asian takeaways, this sticky aubergine will beat any takeaway!
- It’s super simple to make, regardless of your cooking skills level.
- Whether you’re vegan or looking to reduce your meat consumption, this is a great family-friendly meat-free recipe for any day of the week.
- Have friends coming over for a dinner party? It’s a perfect recipe to cook in advance. Just re-heat it in the pan 10 minutes before serving.
- If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, add the cold sticky aubergine to your salad the next day, along with some rice noodles. It’ll make one of the most delicious Asian-inspired salads.
Want some more meat-free inspiration for family friendly meals? Check out
- The all time family favourite vegan shepherd’s pie
- Oh-so-delicious vegan stuffed pasta
- Vegan cottage pie
- Squash, sage & wild mushroom risotto
- Easy butternut squash & chickpea stew
- Family favourite vegan chili
As always, if you recreate this vegan sticky aubergine recipe, I’d be delighted to read your comments and hear your feedback. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram @Fit Foodie Nutter, Facebook or Pinterest, so I don’t miss them.
See you next week.
THE BEST QUICK & EASY VEGAN STICKY AUBERGINE
For the marinade:
- 2 medium aubergines (eggplants) , cut in 3-4cm chunks
- ¼ cup light soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free version
- ½ tsp minced garlic or ready-made garlic puree
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil for frying
- Brown rice
- A handful of spring onions
- Pomegranate seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Chop the aubergines in 3-4cm chunks and put in a bowl big enough to contain all the aubergines.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients (apart from the olive oil) in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour the marinade over the aubergines and mix well to ensure the aubergines are well coated in the marinade. Cover the bowl with cling film, place in the fridge and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat up a large frying pan until hot and add the olive oil. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the aubergines into the pan and cook on high heat for 8-10 minutes stirring regularly. Add the remaining marinade from the bowl, cover with lid and cook over medium to low heat for 20-25 minutes until the aubergines are soft and sticky. Serve with brown rice, spring onions, pomegranate & sesame seeds.