Good old family classic shepherd’s pie made vegan friendly. A perfect comfort food dish for a cold winter’s day, which the whole family will enjoy (even the fussiest little eaters will love it). Vegan, gluten & dairy free.
*This post was originally written in January 2018 and has been updated in November 2020 with more pictures, instructions and recipe video.
Finally, after a lot of technical problems with my blog, which caused the whole site to go down (to say it was an emotional disaster was an understatement), I’m back with this lip-smacking recipe of a vegan shepherd’s pie.
This cosy dinner has been the most asked for recipe on my Instagram page @fit.foodie.nutter to date (if you don’t follow me on social media, I post some recipes there too, so pop in and say hello). As soon as I posted this shepherd’s pie on Instagram, I received so many messages, emails and comments asking for the recipe – thank you so much for your kindness and generosity. To see that you guys enjoy the recipes I create is the best reward I could ever ask for and serves as the best encouragement to keep going with my blog.
As I haven’t been able to post the recipe on the blog up until now, I emailed it to my email list subscribers. If you’d like to receive my recipe emails straight into your inbox, be sure to sign up for my recipe newsletters.
The inspiration for this vegan shepherd’s pie came from a meal at a good old English pub where we dined with our friends one evening over the Christmas period. I must be honest, you’ll be lucky to get a great vegetarian meal in a pub (although there’s a much wider choice of vegetarian dishes now). So I was pleasantly surprised to see a vegan shepherd’s pie on the menu. As soon as I tasted it, that was it. I HAD to recreate it at home. It turned out so good that the family asked me to make it 3 times in 1 week! I couldn’t say no of course…
WHICH INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE VEGAN SHEPHERD’S PIE?
One of the great things about this recipe is that the ingredients list is quite short (and highly customizable too).
The key ingredients you’ll need:
- Green lentils
- Sweet potatoes
- Tinned tomatoes
- Green peas
RECIPE INGREDIENTS SUBSTITUTIONS
The beauty of this vegan shepherd’s pie recipe is that although it tastes utterly delicious as it is, you can easily customize it to suit your taste buds & dietary requirements.
- Don’t like green lentils? Swap them for beans (tinned black beans or red kidney beans work really well).
- Have leftover vegetables in the fridge that need using up? Add them to the base. Mushrooms, celery, courgettes work really well. Just watch out for the ratio of sauce & vegetables. You don’t want the base to be too dry.
- No sweet potatoes? Use white potatoes instead. Some readers have also reported mixing half sweet potatoes & half white potatoes.
- Add your favourite herbs & spices to the base to enhance the flavours. Sage, oregano, rosemary, ground cumin work really well.
TIPS ON MAKING YOUR VEGAN SHEPHERD’S PIE TASTE THE BEST
- Make sure you use good quality tinned tomatoes as cheap brands tend to be very runny, which makes the sauce too thin and less flavoursome.
- A great thing about this recipe is that you can add a variety of your favourite vegetables or pulses to the filling – see ingredients alternatives below for ideas.
- If you feel a little more indulgent, sprinkle the pie with grated dairy free cheese before putting it in the oven. It’ll will make it a totally irresistible comfort meal for the whole family!
LOOKING FOR MORE MEAT-FREE RECIPES INSPIRATION?
Check out some of the readers’ favourite:
- The best creamy mushroom stroganoff
- Oh-so-delicious vegan stuffed pasta
- Quick & easy vegan sticky aubergine
- Easy butternut squash & chickpea stew
- Family favourite vegan chili
If you make this vegan shepherd’s pie, I would be over the moon if you shared your feedback with me in the comments section and tag me in your creations on Instagram #fitfoodienutter or Pinterest. I really love seeing your takes on my recipes.
Thank you for popping in. See you next week.
PIN FOR LATER:
THE ALL TIME FAMILY FAVOURITE VEGAN SHEPHERD’S PIE (GLUTEN & DAIRY FREE)
- 1 cup green lentils
- 3 medium size sweet potatoes (around 1kg) , peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp . olive oil
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 medium carrot , finely grated
- 1 heaped tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 400g tin organic chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup green peas ( I used frozen)
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- A bunch of fresh coriander
- Cook the lentils according to the packet instructions. Set aside. * You can also use pre-cooked lentils to save time (they sell them in little pouches in the UK supermarkets).
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F, Gas mark 6).
- Place diced sweet potato in a pan, season with salt & pepper, cover with water & bring to a boil. Reduce to a medium heat & cook until the potatoes are soft. When cooked, cool slightly before mashing the potatoes up. Set aside.
- In the meantime, fry the onions and garlic in a pan with 1 tbsp olive oil on a low to medium heat until just softened. Add grated carrot & cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in tomato puree, smoked paprika & chili flakes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add cooked lentils into the pan with onions & garlic & mix well. Stir in chopped tomatoes & peas & cook on medium heat for around 5 minutes. Take the pan off the heat, add freshly chopped coriander and season with salt & pepper.
- Transfer the lentil mixture into an oven proof dish and spread evenly. Top with sweet potato mash (use a fork to spread the mash evenly).
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the potato is starting to turn golden brown.