This easy squash & sweet potato soup is a perfect one pot lunch or dinner for any day of the week. Filling, nourishing & full of cosy winter flavours, it’s a great family -friendly meal prep option. Vegan, dairy & gluten free.
After all the festive indulgence (those gingerbread biscuits, chocolate tarts & peanut butter & oat cookies were too good not to eat!), it’s quite refreshing to come back with a super easy yet nourishing one pot squash & sweet potato soup recipe. It’s dead simple to make – you just roast all the veggies in the oven and then blend them together with some coconut milk and vegetable stock and voila, your healthy soup is ready!
I’ve used quite a bit of ginger and turmeric in this recipe, which I use a lot in my meals as they are packed with anti-inflammatory properties and aid better digestion (which I think would be beneficial to quite a few of us after all the holiday indulgence).
DOES SQUASH & SWEET POTATO SOUP FREEZE WELL?
This recipe yields a substantial family size pot. If you have some soup left over, place it in the freezer & save it for later. It’ll keep in an air-tight container for 2 to 3 months. It makes it a great healthy meal prep recipe as well.
HOW CAN I CUSTOMIZE THIS SQUASH & SWEET POTATO SOUP?
You can use this recipe as a base for any other roasted vegetable soups. Feel free to vary your veggies according to their seasonal availability. Personally, I try to avoid buying exotic vegetables & fruits imported from far away countries, as I’m always doubtful about how many nutrients have managed to survive during the transportation process.
Anyway, I’ll leave you to enjoy super cosy squash & sweet potato soup. I have so many other recipes to share with you guys, I just hope I’ll keep up with my New Year’s resolution of being more productive with my blog.
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY RECIPES WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH?
Try some of the readers’ favourite recipes below:
- Healthier vegan mac and cheese
- Butternut squash pancakes
- Squash, sage & wild mushroom risotto
- Easy butternut squash & chickpea stew
- Butternut squash hummus
As always, if you give this recipe a try, I’d be delighted to read your comments and hear your feedback. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram @Fit Foodie Nutter, Facebook or Pinterest so I don’t miss them.
Pin for later:
SUPER EASY ONE POT SQUASH & SWEET POTATO SOUP (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE)
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes , peeled and diced in small chunks
- 1 small butternut squash , peeled, deseeded and diced in small chunks
- 1 small onion , peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (with skin on)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- Salt to taste
- 1 tin light coconut milk
- 1.5– 2L hot vegetable stock (from a stock cube)
- A handful of fresh coriander , finely chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- Toasted almond flakes & pomegranate for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place diced sweet potatoes, squash and onions on a baking tray. Lightly crush the garlic cloves with the flat of a knife and add to the baking tray.
- Pour the olive oil over the vegetables & sprinkle them with cayenne pepper, turmeric, ginger and salt. Mix well to ensure the vegetables are evenly coated with all the spices. Roast in the oven for around 25 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Let the vegetables cool down slightly before transferring them to a blender. Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock and coriander and blend until smooth (you might want to use less or more stock, depending on how thick you like your soup). If the soup is too dense, just add more hot water. If you haven’t got a high power blender, you can use a hand blender.
- Garnish the soup with toasted almonds, pomegranate & fresh coriander.