A delicious combination of fresh berries and fruit layered with yoghurt & granola. Quick, easy & simple, it makes a perfect back-to-school breakfast or an afternoon snack. You can prepare it the night before to save precious time on a morning of a school run.
I don’t quite know how we got to the end of the summer season, do you?! Although I really love school summer holidays (and all the loud play dates and fun days out that come with them), I must admit that I’m ready to get back into a normal routine. And a little peace and quiet from now and again is rather nice too…
We have been graced with an exceptionally hot summer this year in Britain and apparently, the sunshine is set to continue throughout the whole of September (big cheers for that!). This is an extra opportunity to enjoy and savour the last of the summer produce.
Talking about the produce, the ingredients for today’s delicious Summer Berry Crunch recipe have been generously gifted by Marks & Spencer who is very passionate and committed to the sustainable sourcing of quality British ingredients. M&S has worked with some of its berry suppliers for over 40 years and is proud to support farmers who have been farming for generations.
This Summer Berry Crunch breakfast (you can find M&S recipe here) is a delicious combination of fresh berries and ripe peach layered with yoghurt & granola. Super easy, simple and a great way to encourage kids to eat fruit. You can easily make this recipe vegan friendly by using dairy free yoghurt.
What I love about this recipe is it’s a big time saver for all busy parents – you can make it up the night before in sterilised glass jars and that’s your kids breakfast sorted (and one less thing to worry about on a busy morning of a school run)! Or, if you’re planning an after school picnic, pack these jars in your picnic basket – they will make a perfect snack.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I & my kiddo did.
Have a great week.
SUMMER BERRY CRUNCH
- 200 g granola
- 30 g toasted mixed seeds
- 200 g natural or dairy free yogurt
- 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100 g strawberries
- 100 g raspberries
- 0.5 pomegranate halves
- 3 peaches
- 1. Hull the strawberries and cut into rounds lengthways. Add to a medium-sized bowl along with the raspberries and juice of an orange. Add the vanilla essence and give it a good mix. Leave to one side.
- 2. Cut your pomegranate in half, place over a bowl and lay the cut side face-down in the palm of your hand.
- 3. Using a heavy spoon or rolling pin, bash the top side until all the seeds start to fall through your fingers. Discard the skin and any white pith that might have fallen through. Add the seeds to the fruit mix.
- 4. Cut the peaches up roughly and set aside.
- 5. Get yourself four large glasses or jam jars and start layering: add one tablespoon of granola to the bottom of each glass followed by two tablespoons of the fruit mix, a sprinkling of seeds, and a layer of yogurt, then top with peaches.
- 6. Repeat until the glass is nearly full and top with a final layer of granola and a little pile of the remaining fruit and seeds.