Kickstart your day with this healthy yet quick & easy overnight oats recipe. It only takes minutes to prepare the night before, which makes it a great fuss free breakfast on the go. Vegan & gluten free.
And just like that, we are in 2019! All that time we spent in anticipation and preparation for the festive season… All the food shopping that had to be done, those gifts that had to be wrapped… It always flies by too quickly, don’t you think?
I thoroughly enjoyed putting my camera down for a little break, as well as having a mini digital detox. Being present in the real world without distractions is becoming so difficult nowadays. I’ve vouched to myself to be more conscious about having regular breaks from the social media. It does wonders for your mental well-being and makes you so much more grounded.
As much as I enjoyed the Christmas break, I’m rather relieved to be back into the routine and to a fresh new start in 2019. I’m not the one for new year’s resolutions but there are a few things I’d like to achieve this year (improving my photography & blog being on the top of my list). Do you have some resolutions you’ll be working on this year?
I know that eating healthier might be a resolution for a lot of people at the beginning of the year, so this easy and quick yet healthy and wholesome overnight oats recipe is perfect to kick start 2019 with. It’s a great breakfast on-the-go which you can prepare the night before & requires minimum effort. I tend to make up two or three jars and keep them in the fridge for either breakfast or snack (which helps me keep my unhealthy cravings at bay & stops me snacking on the wrong stuff).
You can use this overnight oats recipe as a base. Feel free to experiment with ingredients and add your favourite toppings to it. I served mine with raspberry & plum compote which added a new layer of slightly tarty flavour to the oats.
I normally have my overnight oats cold but you can always warm them up in microwave if you prefer them hot.
As always, if you have a go at making these overnight oats, I’d love you to drop a comment in the comment section below and tag me on Instagram @fit.foodie.nutter #fitfoodienutter so I can see your take on them.
Wishing you and your families a very healthy, successful, fulfilling and abundant 2019.
Thank you for stopping by.
QUICK & EASY OVERNIGHT OATS WITH PLUM & RASPBERRY COMPOTE (VEGAN, GF)
For overnight oats:
- 1 cup (gluten free) oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground flex seed (or chia seeds)
- 1 ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2-3 tsp maple syrup
- Your choice of toppings (like granola & berries)
For plum & raspberry compote:
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup plums , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Maple syrup to taste (around 3-4 tsp)
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl (or divide between 2 jars for individual portions) and stir well. Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight. If the oats are too thick in the morning, just add more milk to reach the desired consistency.
- For the compote, add raspberries, plums & water to a small saucepan and warm up over medium heat for around 3 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and let the mixture bubble for a couple of minutes. Taste the compote at this stage to ensure it has the right amount of sweetness. You can serve it warm or cold.
- Take the oats out of the fridge and stir well. Spoon the compote over the oats, sprinkle with granola (if using) and fresh raspberries.