Light and fluffy, these pumpkin spice waffles ooze autumn inspired flavours. They are perfect for a weekend brunch. You can make them ahead of time and freeze (take them out of the freezer the night before and heat in a toaster just before serving). Gluten and dairy free.
After last week’s experiment with butternut squash waffles (which miserably failed by the way), I was more determined than ever to create a winning autumnal waffle recipe.
I was very tempted to use my homemade pumpkin puree in this recipe but seeing that the last batch of waffles turned into a ‘waffle scramble’, I decided to leave it out and just use pumpkin spice instead. I ended up with light, fluffy waffles, which were polished off the plate in minutes. A great sign of a successful recipe, right?!
Notes on the ingredients
To make these waffles gluten free, I used brown rice flour. Wholemeal flour (or plain flour) would work well too.
I’ve also used homemade cashew milk in this recipe (you can replace it with gluten free oat milk), which I think deserves a little post on its own. I’ve been meaning to make homemade nut milk for as along as I can remember but I just couldn’t bear the hustle of straining the milk through the nut bag and making a big mess with it all… So, I decided to experiment with my Nutribullet instead. I loaded it up with soaked cashews (I soaked them overnight), water and a little dash of vanilla extract and ta da! I couldn’t believe how creamy, silky and smooth the milk turned out! And best of all – it didn’t even need straining. Homemade nut milk will save me a small fortune for sure!
Looking for more healthy recipes for breakfast & brunch?
Try some of the readers’ favourite recipes below:
- Easy vegan French toast with chickpea flour
- 15-minute ‘cheesy polenta
- The ultimate chia pudding breakfast bomb
- Butternut squash pancakes
- Show stopper oatmeal with caramelised bananas
- The ultimate orange crepes
As always, if you give these pumpkin spice waffles a try, I’d be delighted to read your comments and hear your feedback. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram @Fit Foodie Nutter, Facebook or Pinterest so I don’t miss them.
PUMPKIN SPICE WAFFLES (GLUTEN FREE & DAIRY FREE)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp organic coconut sugar
- 1 egg, lightly wisked
- 2 1/4 cup plant milk of choice
- 2 tsp water
- Coconut oil for greasing the waffle iron
- Toppings of your choice
- Heat up the waffle iron.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or a measuring jug.
- If required, grease the waffle iron with a little coconut oil. Pour the batter into the waffle maker and cook until the waffles have turned golden brown (around 8-10 minutes). Serve immediately with your choice of toppings and a drizzle of maple syrup.