This refined sugar free plum & blackberry galette is a perfect way to enjoy the stone fruit and berries of the season. Crispy on the edges, whilst oozing warm fruit juices inside, it’s a perfect treat for the whole family. Enjoy it with (dairy free) yoghurt or ice cream. Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free.
Oh dear, it’s been over a month since I posted a new recipe… The combination of the summer holidays and personal circumstances have kept me away from the blog longer than I anticipated. You know that feeling when you start making something but you’re not doing a good job because your heart is not in it at this particular moment? That was a sign for me to step away from the blog, put the camera down for a short while and take a little break to re-compose myself.
It was this rustic plum & blackberry galette that brought me back to my food blog. The recipe turned out too good not to be shared with you. I must admit though, I’m far from being a good baker because baking is too precise for me! I’m more of a ‘let’s throw everything together and see what happens’ kinda person, hence this recipe is really easy and requires no baking skills at all.
I’ve been lucky enough to use plums from my own garden and blackberries that my daughter and I foraged locally.
It makes me so happy to know where my food comes from, especially now when we get so many imported foods flown from difference parts of the world.
Feel free to substitute plums and blackberries with any other stone fruit and berries. Make the best of the seasonal fruit and berries where you live.
PLUM & BLACKBERRY GALETTE DOUGH
Just a little note on the dough. You have to make sure you chill the dough for at least 2 hours (or best overnight). Be careful when you handle the dough and don’t panic if it starts breaking off when you’re folding the galette. The beauty of the rustic galette is that it doesn’t have to be perfect – the more rustic, the better! If the dough is breaking off, just pinch it together gently with your fingers.
If you’d like to try some other healthier sweet recipes, check out:
- UPSIDE DOWN BLOOD ORANGE CAKE (VEGAN, GF)
- NECTARINE & MANGO SUMMER TART (VEGAN, GF)
- HEALTHY VEGAN BANANA & RASPBERRY LOAF
- HEALTHIER RASPBERRY & RHUBARB CRISP. STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE
As always, if you recreate this delicious plum & blackberry galette at home, I’d be delighted to read your comments and hear your feedback. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest so I don’t miss them. It gives me so much joy seeing your takes on my recipes!
See you next week.
PLUM & BLACKBERRY GALETTE (VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE)
For the dough:
- 1 ½ cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- *½ cup cold coconut oil , finely chopped with a knife
- ¼ cup ice cold water
For the filling:
- 1 cup plums , stones removed, sliced
- 1 cup blackberries
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- Optional: dairy free ice cream or yoghurt for serving
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground almonds, buckwheat flour, cinnamon, sugar and coconut oil. Use your hands to mix all the ingredients together. Start adding cold water, a little at a time, until the mixture resembles dough consistency. You might need a little less water, so ensure that you’re adding it slowly until your dough forms a smooth ball. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least an hour or best overnight.
- Whilst the dough is chilling, prepare the filling by combining all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for around 5-7 minutes until the coconut sugar has dissolved and plums have slightly softened. Take off the heat and let the mixture cool down to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 190C fan.
- When you’re ready to assemble the galette, you have to work quickly in order for the dough not to melt too much. Place the chilled dough on a sheet of greaseproof paper, sprinkle the sheet and rolling pin with a little buckwheat flour and roll the dough into a circle, 1/8 – 1/4 inches thick. If you wish, cut the rough edges with a pastry knife (or I find it easier doing it with a pizza slice). Transfer the dough (along with greaseproof paper) onto a baking tray.
- Scoop the plum & berry mixture into the centre of the galette, leaving 1 ½ inches crust at the edge. Gently fold the edges of the galette upwards. Don’t worry if the dough is starting to break, just pinch it together with your fingers to stop the berry juice from oozing out.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the edges of the galette are brown and crisp. Serve with a generous dollop of ice cream or yoghurt.