Make the best of seasonal nectarines this summer with this light nectarine & mango tart with a crunchy base and silky fruit filling. It’ll be the only dessert you’ll need for this summer season. A great way of indulging without too many calories. Gluten free & vegan friendly.
Hand on my heart, this nectarines & mango summer tart is probably one of the best tasting desserts I’ve made recently (without blowing my own trumpet). A crunchy base (thanks to buckwheat groats) and silky jelly-like fruit filling makes it one delicious combination. I made it for my mum who came down to stay with us from Russian for a few weeks over the summer holidays and she couldn’t get enough of this tart… And neither could I!
To make this summer tart healthier, I used maple syrup for binding the base and the fruit sugars of ripe mango and nectarines were sweet enough, so there was no need to add refined sugar to the filling.
You can replace mango and nectarines for the fruit of your own choice (a great way of making the best of seasonal fruit).
A few notes on making this delicious nectarine & mango tart recipe:
- I’d recommend using a tart case with a removable base. It makes it a lot easier to slide the tart out of the tin when it’s baked.
- Use unroasted buckwheat groats, not roasted (roasted buckwheat groats are a lot more coarse).
- Let the base cool completely before taking it out of the tart case. To help you remove the tart from the case, place the tart on top of an upside down bowl and gently slide the case down.
- You can prepare the tart the night before (which is handy if you’re planning a party, preparation in advance always helps).
- Feel free to replace nectarines & mango with the seasonal fruit or berries of your own choice.
I hope you’ll get a chance to recreate this light and crunchy nectarine & mango tart. If you do, I’d love it if you dropped a comment below and tag me on Instagram (@fit.foodie.nutter #fitfoodienutter), so I can see your take on this recipe.
Thank you for stopping by. Have a great week ahead.
NECTARINE & MANGO SUMMER TART (GF, Vegan)
For the base:
- 2 cups (gluten free) oats
- 1/2 cup + 1/4cup unroasted buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup coconut oil , melted plus more for greasing
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 heaped tbsp tahini paste
For the filling:
- 3 medium size nectarines , stones removed, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mango cubes (2 large mangoes)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp agar agar powder
- 3 thinly sliced nectarines
- A handful of pomegranate seeds
- Red currants
- A pinch of almond flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 9” tart tin with a little coconut oil and set aside.
- Add the oats to the food processor and pulse in short bursts for 45-60 seconds until they turn into coarse oat flour. Add buckwheat groats and pulse again for a minute or two to break down the buckwheat groats a little (don’t process them too fine if you want to keep the base crunchy). Add the rest of the ingredients and blitz for around 2-3 minutes until the mixture starts to get a little sticky.
- Transfer the base mixture into the tart tin and spread evenly by firmly pressing the mixture around the tin & its sides with your hands, making sure you don’t leave any gaps. Bake at 180C for 12-15mins until golden. Remove from the oven and cool down completely. Place in the fridge whilst you’re making the filling.
- Add nectarines, mango & maple syrup into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a medium size saucepan, turn on medium heat & bring to a gentle boil. Whisk in the agar agar powder and let the mixture simmer on low to medium heat for 5-7 mins until it is starting to thicken. Take the saucepan off the heat and cool down completely. The mixture will thicken more whilst it’s cooling down. Fill the tart base with nectarine & mango mixture and refrigerate for 3-4 hours to allow the filling to set. Garnish with fresh thinly sliced nectarines, red currants, pomegranate seeds and a sprinkle of almond flakes.