These delicious healthy mango & chia popsicles with mango, ginger & turmeric smoothie layered with chia pudding make perfectly nutritious breakfast or snack. Make ahead and that’s your healthy breakfast sorted for the next few days. Both adults and kids will love them!
These last few weeks we have been blessed with some gorgeous sunny weather here in the UK. The sun certainly makes everything look so much better, doesn’t it?! This kind of weather is a perfect excuse to start making your own healthy popsicles or ice lollies. Summer, here we go!
My obsession with homemade ice lollies started last summer when I discovered how easy it is to make your own with just a few ingredients.
For these mango & chia popsicles, I’ve combined my favourite mango, turmeric & ginger smoothie and chia pudding, which made these ice lollies into perfectly nutritious breakfast or snack on a stick. It’s a life saver for those mornings when you have to rush out of the door and haven’t got time to cook breakfast. Or those evenings when you really crave some chocolate but your hand reaches out for these healthy popsicles instead.
To make this recipe child friendly, you can use a little less ginger or leave it out all together. It goes without saying that you can experiment with smoothie layers as much as you like. And that’s the real beauty of homemade popsicles. Whip up whichever smoothie you like best, pour it into the popsicle molds, top with chia pudding and say hello to a healthy breakfast for the next few mornings.
To make your mango & chia popsicles an enjoyable process, I would recommend getting good quality popsicle molds. I’ve had a few disasters with cheap ones that I’d purchased from supermarkets before. Although it’s a matter of personal choice but I also prefer traditional wooden sticks in my lollies. Rather than those plastic mold lolly bottoms you can get.
Another tip you might find helpful. Before taking the lollies out of the molds, let them thaw at room temperature for around 5 minutes. This way the popsicles will come out a lot easier. And you won’t have to force them out of the molds at the risk of your lolly snapping in half. It happened to me so many times before! Just go very gentle when you ease them out of the molds.
Looking for more healthy breakfast inspiration?
- THE ULTIMATE CHIA PUDDING BREAKFAST BOMB
- GRANOLA BREAKFAST PIZZA
- THE BEST SAVOURY VEGAN PANCAKES WITH AVOCADO
- THE BEST HIGH-PROTEIN VEGAN AVOCADO TOAST WITH EDAMAME BEANS
As always, if you recreate these mango & chia popsicles at home, I’d be delighted to read your comments and hear your feedback. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest so I don’t miss them. It gives me so much joy seeing your takes on my recipes!
See you next week.
HEALTHY MANGO & CHIA BREAKFAST POPSICLES (VEGAN, GF)
For the chia pudding layer:
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (from a carton)
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
For the mango layer:
- 2 medium size fresh mangos , peeled and diced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tbsp coconut milk (or water)
- Combine chia pudding ingredients in a bowl or jug, whisk well and refrigerate for at least an hour (or overnight). *If you prefer your chia pudding sweeter, just add more maple syrup to adjust to your tastes. When you take the chia pudding out of the fridge, give it a good whisk to ensure there are no clumps.
- Combine mango layer ingredients in a blender and process until smooth (you might want to add a dash of coconut milk or water to get the blender started).
- Pour the mango puree into the molds, top with chia pudding and finish with another layer of mango puree.
- Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours.