These easy gluten and refined sugar free chocolate cookies are a perfect treat to accompany your cup of tea or hot chocolate! They take around 25 minutes to make, so you can put them together in an instant when those sweet cravings kick in.
The ‘C word’ in on everyone’s lips now… I can’t believe that Christmas is just round the corner. Every single year I keep telling myself that I would start my Christmas shopping early (preferably in the summer), so I can escape the last minute festive shopping frenzy. As of yet, I’m still not done with my Christmas presents but I’m determined to get it over and done with by the end of this month. Now that I’ve made this resolution in writing, I’ll have to stick to it…
Anyway, back to these easy peasy yet deliciously decadent chocolate cookies. I was fortunate enough to recently bake these cookies together with my dear friend, a super talented fellow food blogger Anna Banana, whilst she was making her own thumbprint chocolate biscuits (word of warning if you make these – they’re totally delicious but dangerously moreish!)
When making this recipe in Anna’s kitchen, I actually tried replacing the egg with chia egg to make this recipe vegan friendly. After the cookies came out of the oven, I realised I had forgotten to add almond milk to my cookie batter (we obviously were chatting too much to be able to concentrate), hence the cookies came out a little dry. I made another batch with chia egg at home and they came out beautifully.
When scooping the batter onto the greaseproof baking paper (one tablespoon at a time), you can either flatten it with the back of a spoon or you can use a fork and gently press the batter by making a criss-cross shape.
If you’d like to make this recipe even more decadent (it’s the festive season after all), you can add a handful of dark chocolate chips into the batter. It’ll make the cookies extra gooey and moist.
Have fun making these chocolate cookies (they are great to make with children by the way) and I would be delighted to hear your feedback.
HEALTHY GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- 1 cup (gluten free) porridge oats
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg (or chia egg if vegan)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil , melted
- 3 tbsp nut milk
- Optional: melted dark chocolate to use as a drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together oats, cacao powder and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk an egg, add maple syrup, coconut oil and nut milk.
- Transfer wet ingredients in to the bowl with dry ingredients and mix until it resembles dough consistency.
- Roll out 8 balls (allow 1 tbsp per ball) and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. The dough will be quite sticky, so you might want to use spoons to scoop out the mixture onto the tray.
- Gently flatten the balls with a fork in a criss cross shape.
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 10-12 minutes. If you are using dark chocolate drizzle, just let the cookies cool down slightly before drizzling them with chocolate.
Leave a Reply