These easy, kids-friendly healthy carrot cake pancakes will have you lick your plate till the last crumb is gone. It’s just like eating a healthy carrot cake for breakfast – total winner for the whole family! Vegan, free from gluten and refined sugar.
When your harshest food critic, aka your 9 year old daughter, is asking for a second helping of your vegan carrot cake pancakes, I take it as the best compliment. Trust me, there’s been a few times when she told me her unbiased honest opinions about my cooking experiments, so to earn her appraisal is kinda a big thing to me.
These healthy carrot cake pancakes are more dense than traditional fluffy pancakes, however they offer a great nutritional value and will keep you full for much longer. Furthermore, sneaking extra veggie goodness into your breakfast is an extra bonus for children and adults alike.
When it comes to toppings, I love serving my pancakes with a generous helping of maple syrup and whichever fresh berries I have on hand.
This time I also added edible flowers from the local New Forest producer Bell Herbs. You know how much I love locally sourced foods and I got really excited to have discovered a family run business growing the most beautiful and delicious edible flowers and micro herbs. These herbs and flowers add an extra touch of sophistication, as well as delicate extra flavours to your every day meals for sure.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY VEGAN BREAKFAST RECIPES?
Check out some of the readers’ favourite recipes below:
- Granola breakfast pizza
- Easy vegan French toast
- Vegan peanut butter & banana pancakes
- 15 minute ‘cheesy’ vegan polenta
- The ultimate orange crepes
Sending you and your families all the positive vibes. Stay healthy and look after yourselves.
HEALTHY CARROT CAKE PANCAKES (VEGAN, GF)
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp ground chia seeds mixed in with 3 tbsp water)
- 1 cup (gluten free) oats
- ½ cup firmly packed grated carrot
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- Coconut oil for greasing
- Prepare the chia egg by mixing 1 tbsp of ground chia seeds with 3 tbsp of water. Set aside for 5-10mins until the mixture resembles glue-like consistency.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and add the chia egg. Mix until well combined.
- Heat up a pan over medium heat (make sure you use good quality pan, otherwise your pancakes will stick to the bottom of the pan). Grease with a little coconut oil and fry the pancakes (allow 1 heaped tbsp per pancake) for a couple of minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve whilst still hot with maple syrup and your choice of fresh berries.