This vegan strawberry galette is one of the easiest desserts you’ll ever make. It’s a great recipe for using up those juicy summer strawberries. 9 key ingredients is all you will need to pull out this easy summer dessert. Vegan & gluten free.
You know by now that I’m far from a baking goddess (baking is too precise for my liking!). However, whilst making this super easy summer strawberry galette, my Mary Berry alter ego came out in full force! Whether you’re a pro baker or not into baking at all, this strawberry galette will win you over with its delicious summery flavours & its beautiful simplicity.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s super easy to make
- Simple yet delicious summer flavours
- You only need 9 ingredients to make it from scratch
- It’s great for adults & children alike
- This recipe is easy to customise. If you don’t like strawberries, feel free to replace them with any other berries or stone fruit of the season.
- It’s a beautiful show stopper for any party table
As I’ve mentioned before, this recipe is anything but fussy. It calls for 9 simple key ingredients:
- Flour. I used buckwheat flour to make this recipe gluten free. If you don’t need to make it gluten free, just use plain flour.
- Dairy free butter (if you’re in the UK, I like using Flora’s Unsalted Plant Butter).
- Sugar. To make this recipe diet friendly, I used Pure Via’s Baker’s Secret Caster Sugar Alternative (it’s a sweetener made with acacia gum). Feel free to replace this sugar alternative for normal caster sugar.
- A drizzle of maple syrup to brush the pastry and give it a golden glow. You can use dairy free milk instead but I find maple syrup works better with sweet recipes.
- Fresh strawberries. If you’re not a fan of strawberries, feel free to replace them with any other berries of your choice. Blueberries, blackberries or raspberries will all work well. Alternatively, use the seasonal stone fruit – apricots, peaches, nectarines or plums.
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Corn flour to thicken the strawberry juices and prevent the pastry from having a soggy bottom.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN PASTRY FOR STRAWBERRY GALETTE
For the galette pastry, I’m using my go-to simple recipe that’s been tried & tested in many of my homemade pies and galettes. This recipe is really versatile & super simple to make. You can use it in sweet & savoury pies (just omit the sugar if you’re making a savoury recipe). Although I’m using buckwheat flour here (I love its nutty flavours and extra nutritional properties), you can substitute it for plain flour if you wish.
To make the pastry, you’ll need buckwheat flour, cold butter, a pinch of salt and caster sugar.
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and bind together with your hands until soft dough forms.
Finally, chill the pastry in the fridge for at least an hour. After chilling, let it rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling. This will prevent breakages whilst rolling out the dough.
LOOKING FOR MORE VEGAN DESSERT INSPIRATION?
Try some of the readers’ favourite recipes below:
- Vegan carrot cake loaf
- Easy fluffy vegan chocolate mousse
- Quick & easy vegan shortcrust nectarine tart
- Healthier raspberry & rhubarb crisp
- Plum & blackberry galette
In conclusion, I really hope you’ll give this easy rustic strawberry galette a try. If you recreate this recipe, I’d love to read your comments and hear your feedback. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram @Fit Foodie Nutter, Facebook or Pinterest .
EASY VEGAN STRAWBERRY GALETTE
For the crust:
For the filling:
- 550 g fresh strawberries quartered and stems removed
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Optional: basil leaves for garnish
- To make the pastry, combine the flour, cold butter, salt & sugar in a mixing bowl. Rub together with your hands until it resembles a crumble mixture. Gradually add the ice cold water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough starts to bind. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and rest in the fridge for at least an hour. Take the dough out of the fridge 15mins before rolling to bring it to the room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180C /356F.
- To prepare the filling, combine the strawberries, lemon juice, corn flour and caster sugar in a bowl and mix until the strawberries are evenly coated. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the work surface with a little flour and start rolling out the dough into a circle shape until the dough is around an inch thick. If desired, trim the edges with a knife to make it into a round shape (or leave the edges as they are for a more rustic look). Gently transfer the dough onto the baking tray lined with parchment paper. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the filling into the centre of the dough, leaving a 2 inch border around the edges.
- Using your fingers, fold the edges of the dough up over the filling.
- Brush the sides of the galette with maple syrup and sprinkle with almond flakes (if using). Gently press the almond flakes into the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 25-35mins or until golden brown and the juices are starting to bubble. The juices will thicken as the galette is cooling down. Cool down for 10-15mins before serving. Serve or its own or with a dollop of ice cream or fresh cream.