This comforting, creamy, cheesy and hearty vegan broccoli & cheese soup is like a warm hug in a bowl. Just perfect for the winter season! Ready in just over 30 minutes, it’ll become your go-to comfort food recipe that you’ll return to again & again. Vegan, free from nuts and gluten.
We had our first snow day here in the South of England yesterday and returning back home after a snow ball fight to this creamy, hearty and comforting vegan broccoli & cheese soup was a real treat indeed!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS VEGAN SOUP
- It’s comfort food at its best. The kind of type that’s good for your soul and brings back your childhood memories. You know that one?
- Its rich, silky, velvety texture combined with crunchy homemade croutons is addictive.
- If you’re a cheese lover but can’t eat dairy, this vegan soup will hit all the right spots and taste buds.
- It’s super easy to make
- Requires minimum ingredients
- Ready in just over 30 minutes
- Made in one pot (less washing up is always a good thing, right?!)
The key ingredients you’ll need are:
- Garlic (or garlic powder)
- Potatoes (you can swap it for cauliflower to make it lower in calories).
- Nutritional yeast flakes. They add extra cheesy nutty flavour, however you can skip them.
- Vegetable stock (make sure to use the gluten free version, if required)
- Vegan cheese ( I love using Violife grated mature cheddar because it melts beautifully and doesn’t have an after taste).
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BROCCOLI & CHEESE SOUP
- Firstly, we start by frying onion and garlic in a little olive oil in a big pot, just until they are starting to soften.
2. Then we add diced potatoes, carrots, broccoli, nutritional yeast flakes and seasoning along with vegetable stock and cook over medium heat until the vegetables have softened.
3. We then blitz the soup until smooth and velvety. You can either use a food processor (I did it in my Magimix) or by using a hand blender.
TIP: You’ll most likely want to do it in small batches to avoid spilling the soup everywhere.
4. Finally, once we’ve blended the soup until smooth, we put it back on the hob to re-heat, add the cheese and allow it to melt. If your soup is still hot after blending, you don’t have to re-heat it.
HOW CAN I THICKEN MY SOUP?
If your soup is not thick enough, you can either add more cheese or a teaspoon of corn flour. If you’re using corn flour, just mix it in with a little drop of water in a small bowl before adding it to the soup. This way you’ll avoid flour clumps in your soup.
If you’re looking to make your soup creamier and thicker, you can always use unsweetened dairy-free milk instead of vegetable stock or even tinned coconut milk.
HOW TO STORE
Transfer the soup to an air-tight container and refrigerate. It’ll keep for 3-4 days. You can add more cheese once it’s been re-heated.
CAN I FREEZE IT?
Yes, you most certainly can. Transfer into a zip lock bag before placing it into a freezer. It’ll keep for up to 6 months.
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY VEGAN RECIPES FOR THE WINTER SEASON?
Try some of the readers’ favourite vegan winter warmers below:
- Super easy one pot squash and sweet potato soup
- The all time family favourite vegan shepherd’s pie
- Healthier vegan mac and cheese
- Vegan mushroom & walnut wellington
- Easy butternut squash & chickpea stew
- The best quick & easy vegan sticky aubergine
- Family favourite vegan cottage pie
I really hope you’ll give this vegan broccoli & cheese soup a try. If you recreate this recipe, I’d be delighted to read your comments and hear your feedback. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram @Fit Foodie Nutter, Facebook or Pinterest so I don’t miss them.
Stay healthy and keep safe.
Pin for later:
EASY ONE POT VEGAN BROCCOLI & CHEESE SOUP (NUT-FREE)
- Soup pot (saucepan)
- Hand blender (or food processor)
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 small broccoli head cut in small chunks
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kala namak (or regular salt)
- 1 gluten-free vegetable stock cube dissolved in 800ml hot water
- 2 handfuls of vegan grated cheese (we like using Violife grated cheddar)
- Homemade croutons and parsley for garnish
- Heat up he olive oil in a large soup pot. Fry onion and garlic over low to medium heat for a couple of minutes until softened.
- Add potatoes, carrots, broccoli, nutritional yeast flakes, smoked paprika, kala namak, pepper and pour the vegetable stock over the veggies. Cover with a lid and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until all the vegetables have softened.
- Transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth. If the soup is too thick, add hot water to reach the desired consistency *See the blog post on tips how to thicken the soup.
- Place the pureed soup back on the heat and add grated cheese. Cook for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with homemade croutons, parsley and more grated cheese.