This butternut squash & chickpea stew is an ultimate meat-free comfort meal for the winter season. Quick and easy to prepare, it only requires a few staple ingredients and makes a perfect family meal for big and little people. Vegan and gluten free.
I can’t believe that Christmas is upon us in less than 2 weeks time… I’m probably being the least organised person this year as I’m still yet to do my Christmas shopping… Yes, I know!
Anyway, Christmas aside, I’ve got a quick and easy yet a perfect recipe for a cosy winter night for you – butternut squash and chickpea stew. It was one of those ‘add a bit of this and a bit of that’ recipes but it turned out so good that I just have to share it with you.
WHY SHOULD I MAKE THIS BUTTERNUT SQUASH & CHICKPEA STEW?
- It’s super easy
- Perfect for meal prep
- Highly customizable
- A great meat-free weeknight dinner
- A perfect cosy meal to warm you up in the winter season
With only a few ingredients, you can prepare a big batch of this butternut squash and chickpea stew to last for a few days (it makes it a perfect contender for a meal prep, if you’re one of those organised people who can do it – I take my hat off to you!). In my book, leftovers also taste much better the next day!
Feel free to replace the butternut squash with any other root vegetables in season. You can also substitute chickpeas with tinned white beans if you like.
WHAT CAN I SERVE IT WITH?
I normally serve my stews with brown/wild rice or quinoa but this time my pantry cupboards were totally empty, so white rice it was!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH?
- Festive roasted butternut squash with sage & mushroom stuffing
- One pot squash & sweet potato soup
- Butternut squash hummus
- My best yet butternut squash pancakes
As always, if you have a go at making this butternut squash & chickpea stew, I’d love you to drop a comment in the comment section below and tag me on Instagram @fit.foodie.nutter #fitfoodienutter so I can see your take on it.
EASY BUTTERNUT SQUASH & CHICKPEA STEW (VEGAN, GF)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- ½ red chilli pepper , finely chopped
- ½ large butternut squash (300g)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Zest of 1 clementine
- 1 x 400g tin light coconut milk
- Water as needed
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 2 cups kale
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A bunch of fresh coriander , finely chopped
- Basmati rice to serve
- In a big pan heat up 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Fry onions for 3-4 minutes until just softened. Add garlic and red chilli (if using) and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, all the spices and clementine juice and cook over high heat for 5-7 minutes to slightly brown off the squash. Stir in tinned coconut milk, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally from time to time. If the sauce is getting too thick, add as much water as you require to achieve the desired consistency. If it’s too thin, add 2-3 tbsp coconut flour to thicken it up.
- Stir in chickpeas and kale and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the squash is soft enough. Season with salt & pepper and sprinkle with fresh coriander. Serve with basmati rice.