These beetroot waffles are a great way to sneak in some extra veggie goodness into your meal. You can eat them with sweet or savoury toppings, which makes these waffles a perfect breakfast or lunch meal. Gluten & dairy free and can be made vegan friendly too.
Let’s talk about beetroot. I know a few people find its earthy flavour a bit too harsh and at times too overpowering, but I personally have a very affectionate relationship with this nature’s superfood. Growing up in Russia, it was one of the most commonly used ingredients in my mum’s humble kitchen. I learned to love it from a very young age, whether it was served in the traditional Russian soup known as ‘borsch’ or in a family-favourite Christmas salad.
Being a great source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, beetroot is easily accessible and affordable, which makes this purple health-food titan a great ingredient for family meals. I don’t find the beetroot flavour too overpowering in this recipe, so do give it a try. It’s a great way of sneaking in vegetables in your breakfast.
WHY SHOULD YOU MAKE BEETROOT WAFFLES?
- Soft in the middle & crispy on the outside – these waffles are darn delicious!
- If you’re into meal prep, this recipe is perfect for you. The waffles freeze really well, so you can make a big batch of them and keep in the freezer for later. When ready to serve, re-heat in the toaster (2-3 times) or pop in the oven.
- Looking for a recipe with a nutritional punch? It’s the one!
- Super easy recipe to follow
- Gluten free
- Free from dairy
- Can be made vegan friendly
I love serving my beetroot waffles with a drizzle of carob syrup and berries, whilst my family go mad for maple syrup, bananas and nut butter. Each to their own I suppose!
I bake my waffles in the oven in silicone moulds, which doesn’t require additional oil and makes these waffles a healthy fat free breakfast option. However, you can use a waffle iron too – just make sure you grease it well with oil spray to stop the waffles from sticking.
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY RECIPES FOR BREAKFAST & BRUNCH?
Try some of my best recipes below:
- Easy vegan French toast with chickpea flour
- 15-minute ‘cheesy polenta
- The ultimate chia pudding breakfast bomb
- Butternut squash pancakes
- Show stopper oatmeal with caramelised bananas
- The ultimate orange crepes
Well then, I hope you do enjoy this beetroot waffle recipe. I’d love to hear from you, especially if I have managed to turn you into a ‘beetroot convert’! Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog or tag me in your photos on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest. It gives me so much joy seeing your takes on my recipes!
See you next week.
BEETROOT WAFFLES (GLUTEN & DAIRY FREE)
- 2 small beets, cooked & roughly diced
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp non-alcohol vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg or chia/flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax or chia seeds to 3 tbsp water)
- 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp plant milk of choice
- 1 tsp sweetener of choice (like coconut sugar or xylitol for candida friendly version)
- Preheat the oven to 170C (for fan assisted ovens).
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture in the silicone waffle moulds and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently de-mould the waffles. Place them back on a baking try and return to the oven for a further 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on the waffles to make sure they don't go too brown.
- Serve with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
pepperoni pizza limassol menu says
hi there I really like the blog you have set up here. Thanks and keep up the great work!
Thank you so much for stopping by and posting a comment – I’m truly humbled. Have a great day! x
Country Kitchen says
These waffles are so amazing!! What a super easy and truly delish dish! I made this last night, sticking pretty close to your instructions. It turned out delicious and made a good presentation. I’ll be repeating this one for sure. Thank you so much for this recipe!
I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave the comment too. Enjoy the rest of the week:) xx