This creamy ‘cheesy’ vegan polenta is a super quick fix for breakfast, lunch or dinner when you’re short of time yet want to cook a delicious meal. It only takes 15 minutes to prepare and a handful of staple ingredients from your cupboard and fridge. Vegan & gluten free.
How are you holding out at home? Although the lockdown has just been extended for another 3 weeks in the UK, I’m actually secretly enjoying this forced ‘break’. It’s like the Universe has put a pause button to make us all slow down, breathe deeper, connect better and appreciate everything we have and not ever take anything for granted. Even when I go out walking or running (thank goodness we’re allowed to go out for daily exercise), I feel so much more present and connected with the outside world. How are you coping?
Although we have a lot more time for cooking now, I’ve been so busy with doing a lot of DIY around the house in the last couple of weeks, so this quick and easy ‘cheesy’ polenta has been an absolute life saver for me recently. What I love about this recipe is that it ‘triples’ up as breakfast, lunch or dinner, whichever one you choose.
WHICH INGREDIENS DO I NEED TO PREPARE ‘CHEESY’ VEGAN POLENTA?
I used unsweetened almond milk but any other type of non-dairy milk will work. Just make sure you use the unsweetened version.
- A vegetable stock cube dissolved in 1.5 cups of hot water. Just make sure the stock cubes you’re using and vegan friendly.
I used ‘express polenta’, which is quick cook polenta as this is the only type of polenta I could get my hands on in my local supermarket. ‘Normal’ (or non-express polenta) takes a lot longer to cook, so be sure to check the cooking instructions on the packet and adjust the cooking time if needed.
- Garlic powder
It works great in this polenta recipe and adds a new layer of savoury flavour. And no need to peel and crush fresh garlic! Yay!!
- Nutritional yeast flakes
These little flakes add a ‘cheesy’, slightly nutty taste to the polenta. If you don’t have them in your cupboard, you can use vegan parmesan shavings instead.
When it comes to polenta toppings, you can pretty much use any vegetables you have in your fridge. You can sauté or roast bell peppers, courgette or aubergine. I personally find the garlicy mushrooms and creamy avocado go really well with this dish.
HOW TO COOK ‘CHEESY’ VEGAN POLENTA
- To cook polenta, combine milk and vegetable stock in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Add polenta and whisk for a few seconds to ensure there are no clumps.
- Stir in garlic powder, season with salt & pepper, cover with a lid and turn the heat down to medium low. Simmer polenta for 8-10 minutes, stirring continuously, until it’s just starting to thicken. Stir in nutritional yeast flakes within the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Turn the heat off and let polenta ‘sit’ on the hob for a few minutes to absorb all the liquid. If you prefer your polenta a little thinner, add water, a little at a time, to achieve the desired consistency.
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY RECIPES FOR BREAKFAST & BRUNCH?
Try some of the readers’ favourite recipes below:
- Easy vegan French toast with chickpea flour
- 15-minute ‘cheesy polenta
- The ultimate chia pudding breakfast bomb
- Butternut squash pancakes
- Show stopper oatmeal with caramelised bananas
- The ultimate orange crepes
As always, if you recreate this super quick and easy ‘cheesy’ vegan polenta at home, I’d be delighted to read your comments and hear your feedback. Be sure to drop a comment here on the blog, tag me in your photos on Instagram (Fit Foodie Nutter) or Pinterest so I don’t miss them. It gives me so much joy seeing your takes on my recipes!
Thank you for visiting my blog. I’ll see you next week with another delicious recipe.
Stay safe and keep well.
15 MINUTE ‘CHEESY’ VEGAN POLENTA
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or any other non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 1.5 cups of hot water
- 1/2 cup quick cook polenta
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 tsp nutritional yeast flakes (more if needed)
- Water as needed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A handful of micro herbs or greens of choice
- A sprinkle of shelled hemp seeds
- ¼ avocado sliced
- To cook polenta, combine milk and vegetable stock in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Add polenta and whisk for a few seconds to ensure there are no clumps. Stir in garlic powder, season with salt & pepper, cover with a lid and turn the heat down to medium low. Simmer polenta for 8-10 minutes, stirring continuously, until it’s just starting to thicken. Stir in nutritional yeast flakes within the last 2 minutes of cooking. Turn the heat off and let polenta ‘sit’ on the hob for a few minutes to absorb all the liquid. *If you prefer your polenta a little thinner, add water, a little at a time, to achieve the desired consistency.
- Whilst polenta is cooking, heat up the olive oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add sliced mushrooms, garlic powder, salt & pepper and sautee for 8-10 minutes until the mushrooms are crispy.
- Transfer the polenta into a bowl, top with sautéed garlic mushrooms, micro herbs/greens, sliced avocado and a generous sprinkle of shelled hemp seeds.